Prompt scheduling, quality work, building code compliance guaranteed.
Macdonald Architecture & Technology offers a complete range of disaster resistant, sustainable, and energy efficient designs with full construction management services to assist in realizing your project.
Design Services are usually provided in 4 phases:
1 Concept Design
Sketch site and building plans, elevations, and perspective drawings, to describe the project based on client discussions and agreed project scope.
2. Design Development
Dimensioned floor plans, elevations, sections, and views to fully describe the project based on Client comments on the Conceptual presentation. A 3-dimensional Building Information Model and fly-through 3-D presentation. A preliminary Budget Estimate is developed to control cost itemizing standard rates for construction labor and materials.
3. Permit Submission
Permit submission drawings delineate code related features of the design, they are organized for easy review by the building code authority. These drawings may also be issued to prospective bidders for construction cost estimates.
4. Construction Drawings
Details and schedules for openings, equipment, finishes, and layouts for: electrical, plumbing & mechanical services are added to the drawings. Specifications of Materials and Methods are issued to accompany them. The Specifications and Construction Drawings can be incorporated into a Contract for Construction between Owner and Builder. Macdonald Architecture offers construction cost control, bid, and construction management services.
5. Construction Contract Administration (optional phase)
Contract administration consists of bid management, shop drawing review, construction supervision, progress photography and reporting, change order management, interim and final payment certificates based on the approved construction budget.
Step by Step Design Process:
- Project Program analysis and Client meetings to confirm and clarify project requirements. Minutes of all discussions are sent to the Client for confirmation.
- A secure Macdonald Architecture & Technology Web Portal is created for each Client project. Drawings, instructions, reports, and other project documents are safely and privately shared via this portal.
- Site visits: field measurements, and documentation of buildings, utilities, site elements and facilities. A Site Report is issued to the Client along with any questions.
- Conceptual drawings are created to show proposed designs for space and facility planning, including sketches of building interior and exterior appearance.
- A 3 dimensional digital Building Information Model (BIM) is created so Clients may fly-through the design. This 3 Dimensional presentation is a valuable tool for decision making.
- Client feedback on the proposed design concept.
- Design Development Drawings & Specifications are based on feedback and Client discussions. The Design Development phase includes a detailed itemized Construction Cost Estimate for Client review and confirmation of construction budget.
- Client Discussions regarding the material and equipment choices described in the drawings, specifications, and cost analysis. Design Development drawings and documents are modified accordingly.
- Professional engineers and/or other consultants are engaged as agreed with the Client.
- A proposed Site Plan is issued for Zoning permit.
- The Building Permit Submission Set is issued and submitted for building permit.
- Opening, finish, and equipment schedules, and electrical, plumbing, and mechanical layouts are added to the Permit Submission Set to create the Construction Drawings.
- Upon approval for construction, the Architect can assist the Client in construction bid management.
- Optional Construction Management services are provided under Construction Contract Administration:
Supervision and progress reporting including contractor meeting minutes & photography
Change Order management
Shop Drawing review and analysis
Itemized Cost Control Program with periodic updates based on Change Orders and Field Instructions
Certification of contractor interim payments
Certificate of Completion.